Friday, August 3, 2012

Mountains vs Sea

I haven't been writing so often (it's been more than year now; though I tend to attribute it to being busy at work, I am convinced that it is not the right reasoning to make; I have to make and get time if I need some, as simple as that
4 months ago, during Easter, I drove to Slovenia to just get away on the long weekend and I had an unbelievable experience. In fact, I blogged sipping local Lasko (pronounced as Lashkow) in a ultra local pub and guess it should have been beer (or rather just me) who forgot to save it before all of it was gone:(
I am in Denmark this time to attend the wedding my Mayt and I drove to Odense, to get away from emails, emails, and emails. After having done the city tour by foot spanning over 10 kms, I am in the best rated local hangout in Odense, and I have to say, I am not disappointed at all

Though I did not manage to rewrite the blog I was almost done with in Slovenia, I thought to merge it with the one I wanted to pen about Denmark

While I was super excited about Slovenia, I was indifferent towards Denmark on day 1, but then I have to say, both of them have a class of their own. Denmark is twice as large and populated as Slovenia but with an opposite geography. The former being on sea level and the latter full of mountains.
What I really appreciate about Denmark is that the cities are so meticulously planned for cyclists, that I have to say that biking is not a supplementary mode of transport at all; it is on par with cars instead. All the roads I have been so far had a separate lane for cyclists, each of the intersections with blue signboards on possible directions and distance. Renting bikes is simple and easy; one needs to get into one of the bike kiosks and all what is needed is a (smart) mobile phone! Register online as a guest, send an SMS with the details of the bike and boom! You got a bike for 10 Kroners an hour. Return the bike in any other kiosk near to your destination. Running less in tyre pressure? Stop at one of the air fuelling stations, free of cost! Simple and beautiful. The people themselves, most of them speak German and English, so not a problem for any tourist who knows the Queen's tongue. The Danish are not utterly friendly to Tourists but not unfriendly at all! One pays at the cashier which means tipping is completely on satisfaction levels. Most of the businesses close at around 8 and there isn't a spectacular night life. Denmark is also expensive as oher Scandinavian countries, a big pizza slice costs about 30 Kroners and a Beer, 60 (this is 8 eur for .5l)


The city itself has a polished look, with everything very neat and tidy. The main stret is well cobbled with even the manhole covers carrying some kind of artwork! The museums and exhibitions are superbly put up, they carry a flair of itself. Modern and Contemporary art is quite every where. All comes with a free wifi if you are the city center or in any of the government / public office vicinity like libraries. 
What they also say about Denmark is that one is never more than 30-40 kms from the sea! That's all the distance you need to make if you are a beach beast. Cannot comment much as I am not one...

Slovenia on the other side is "easy and approachable", yes that's the phrase for I ought to give! It's a tiny little paradise that is by far unexplored. Its a heaven for hikers, mountaineers, archeologists (it has a lot of natural caves running into kms long), and of course, lovely people. I had driven alone to Slovenia (Bled) and never felt being alone. I was with locals, so damn friendly, who invited me to join them, I got phone calls upon reaching DE, addresses to stay at their homes the next time I visit Slovenia, tips to fit my taste, and a free night stay in the hostel where I was :) "Easy and Approachable"
The mountains are superbly paved for all hikers from amateurs to experts. I tried a few of them and they are no less than a heaven. Hike up the mountain Stol or Comna, 2500 mts high and you have a breath taking experience of the views. Huts up these mountains serve food and beverages and even accommodation for 50+ people! What a perfect vacation would that be to hike up 2500 mts, crash there and continue conquering the adjacent ones the next day! Cost wise, it is a paradise too; good food for about 5 eur, a beer for 2 and accommodation starting as low as 20 eur

I have to say though, both are not the best of the places for Food (or Beer), Germany still tops the list of mine which already has quite a few countries across Continents

While the interesting part of exploring cultures continues, so does the beer in Carlsens Kvarter; Cheers





No comments:

Post a Comment