Friday, January 8, 2010

In the name of BABA - Get stoned.

Wish you a great 2010 for all you folks out there. Hope you too were sloshed and stewed (and stoned too?) on the first hint of 01.01.10. I was; this time in Amsterdam - the sin city. The city of Grass, Alcohol and Sex. Hmmn, didn't my Mom ask me to be away from all these?! Yes, so was I:)

There was definitely one thing that struck me - not sure where to categorize it though. It could be the Indian invasion into the West in every possible walk of life or the new age marketing strategy or a (de)mystification of Hindu mythology.

It was around 23 hrs and the streets were packed with no room even for a stampede. At one time, I realized just walking in a direction that the crowd headed to - with no idea whether I was away or towards the train station. I regretted not having bought the T with the print "Don't follow me, am lost too" for a few people stopped by me and asked for the directions:) I could only wish I could answer them.

If you've ever been to Amsterdam, the walk in the downtown is just like a matrix of ladders. Every 50 mts you would find a bridge with a so called coffee shop embracing the corner. One such corner had so much of frolic that folks were nothing less than roaring. I lift my head up to see a huge board reading "BABA". Hmm, this used to be (still is?) one of the popular tobacco brands in India! I could easily recall having seen many good fellas with those small cans of tobacco flakes named BABA.

The tinge of Grass was in the air and even more so in people. I decided to get in and take a sneak look at it. First surge of emotion - Wonder+Contempt. While it was a small joint selling heavy joints - of all kinds, from flavoured to pure, from 3EUR to 15EUR/5 gms, it was by large the hottest of the joints out there. The joint was in itself very international - I could see Africans, Chinese, Americans, Locals and what not. Of course, I was the only Indian around, other than the Gods thereof! The joint welcomed its guests with a 5 mt giant idol of lord Ganesha, with replicas on all other walls. Just above the counter, was a strip of idols (engaged in a war) that we usually see in temples. Could the Joint be also called a temple?! For it had the idols and surprise! - Gods too.

In one remote corner was the real lord. He was an easy 7*3 giant with tattoos all over selling the stuff after having meticulously weighed them to the nth decimal. Was he was the modern Ravana? Or even Indra?! That reminds me of one of the oldest and popular discotheks in Hamburg, its called Indra. In fact this is the place where Beatles played for quite some time before getting into limelight.

While I keep my eyes open to uncover further Indian invasion, this could be an opportunity for our own TV channels. I am sure they can make a good story out of this, establish connections, inteview people and make it a big show split into 9 episodes - If you're one among them, don't forget to show this line: "Special thanks to: fiale.blogspot.com"

3 comments:

  1. Interesting what happened next?

    I expected Lord Shiva idol to be there? was he ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told already! Mom asked me to be out of this. So, Shiva I guess stayed at Kailash:)

    ReplyDelete